On Air Now
We're right where you want us to be.
It's popularly known as Michiana, but whatever you want to call the region of southwestern Michigan and north-central Indiana, WVPE has it covered.
- Dial Position 88.1 FM
- Power: 11,500 watts, with a coverage area of 60 miles.
- WVPE serves 17 counties in north central Indiana and southwestern lower Michigan with a total population of more than 1,000,000.
WVPE is a vital communication resource that strives to inform, entertain and inspire the communities we serve. We do this through programming, services and events reflective of our culture and diversity to create a more informed public.
Our Distinctive Format
We're pleased to be Michiana's voice for award-winning National Public RadioTM news and locally produced programming. Our listeners are treated to uniquely American sounds of jazz, blues and folk music. They also receive comprehensive world, national and regional news, and the latest information on a variety of topics they care about - everything from health and science to changing technology, business and beyond.
From our humble beginning in 1972 as a student-run broadcasting lab at the Elkhart Area Career Center, we have become the area's only National Public Radio member station, broadcasting quality programs that inform, entertain, and increase community awareness.
- 1972 - WVPE-FM signs on as a Student-run broadcast laboratory
- 1983 - Jazz, Blues and Folk music become a regular part of programming schedule
- 1984 - A Prairie Home Companion joins WVPE programming as the station becomes an affiliate of American Public Radio (now Public Radio International)
- 1991 - WVPE becomes a member of National Public Radio
- 1995 - WVPE moves to an all-NPR news format with the addition of The Diane Rehm Show and Talk of The Nation
- 2000 - WVPE recognized with awards from Indiana Associated Press and the Society of Professional Journalists
- 2002 - WVPE receives six awards for news coverage (including Best Newscast from IAP, and Spectrum Award from IBA for Best News Story)
- 2003 - WVPE receives 11 awards for news coverage including an Edward R. Murrow Award for Excellence in Sports Reporting
- 2007 - WVPE celebrates 35 years
- 2007 - Michiana Chronicles wins an Edward R. Murrow Award for Excellence.
WVPE's community advisory board has open meetings every month. Please call the station for more information 574.674.9873.
WVPE public Financial and EEO reports are published here.
WVPE is a member-supported service of the Elkhart Community Schools. The school board holds open meetings the schedule can be found on their website.
88.1 WVPE is a proud member of:
The Chamber of Commerce of St. Joseph County
Greater Elkhart Chamber of Commerce
Cornerstone Chamber of Commerce
Goshen Chamber of Commerce
Plymouth Chamber of Commerce
Harbor Country Chamber of Commerce
Warsaw-Kosciusko County Chamber of Commerce
Granger Business Association
Mishawaka Business Association
88.1 WVPE partners with ArtsEverywhere.com for event listings
Show your WVPE pride Purchase WVPE shirts, hats & bags